Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Some Reflections on Flickering Pixels

We are currently reading "Flickering Pixels: How technology shapes your faith" by Shane Hipps for my Preaching and Technology class.  Here are a few of my reflections on chapters 5-8.


So what is the point of technology?  Information.  We live in a world where we are constantly bombarded by information, some true and others not so true.  Much of this information is biased or presented with a certain agenda.  For instance, I just spent the holiday break with my family.  My 20-year-old brother loves to watch Fox News.  So, every time we went back to the hotel the television was turned to Fox News.  This news channel is a source of information.  It is also a source that I would say has a more conservative agenda.  My problem is that news channels, like this one, constantly loop the same information and I never feel like I hear anything new after the first half an hour.  Yet, my brother loves it!  Now don't get me wrong, I like the news...but after awhile it can get boring.  This is when it becomes important to find meaning and understanding for the information we are receiving.  Hipps claims, "Information alone is strength without coordination.  We become a danger mostly to ourselves when we have it.  Understanding is the ability to coordinate that raw information in meaningful ways" (71).  With this in mind, I do not think it does any good to watch hour upon hour of television without taking some time to process and understand the information received.  Maybe for every half hour of Fox News watching everyone should take a few moments to blog about what they have heard.  Then again, maybe this would just result in a lot of blogs with information only and not a lot of understanding.


So why are we lured in by television and other images?  We can use words to describe things.  Radio broadcasters do it all the time.  Who even listens to the radio anymore, though?  We can also use images to show things.  This is what happens on televisions, cameras, YouTube, etc.  I could tell you about my recent trip to New York City or I could show you the photos.  If you actually have time to sit down and have a face-to-face conversation with me (which most people don't) or the opportunity to creep on my facebook you will probably choose to see the pictures.  This is because the pictures do a better job at showing you what I actually saw.  Hipps claims that this is because "Images initially make us feel rather than think" (76).  So, maybe the over-used cliche is true and an image is really worth a thousand words.

So how does all this technology and information relate to our theology?  I think it relates in many ways.  We, as people of faith, can try our hardest to not be of this world.  However, it is difficult to do.  In today's new age of technology a majority of our country's population is texting, blogging, tweeting, facebooking, emailing, and surfing.  We would be lying to ourselves if we were to say that the media and technology that we are surrounded by do not affect our faith.  Instead, the opposite is true.  "The point is that our theology and practice are deeply informed and shaped by our media and technology" (84).  Let's take for instance the recent ELCA 2009 Churchwide Assembly that received a lot of press time.  You can't tell me that the theology of people watching that on the news headlines were not being shaped, one way or another, by what they were seeing and hearing.  I know some people in my home area had not heard much about the statement on human sexuality, because the pastors did not think it was applicable for their context and then they saw it on the news.  Talk about a shock to the system!


Until next time...percolate on this!

3 comments:

  1. I found Hipps point about the way the ear and eye works very interesting--perhaps a picture isn't work a 1,000 words, but really is worth 700,000 words! But for all the information a picture can convey (as with his picture about the sad boy), I believe it also TAKES AWAY some information (or the potential for information) as it limits our creative abilities and invitations (which are readily apparent in books and printed materials). It's interesting that you chose the same quote about strength/coordination as I did (and I think Sarah did too). I think the fact that we all chose that point as a very important one highlights its truth in our society. We may have a lot of information, but we don't tend to have a lot of wisdom and/or understanding. As pastors, our people may have a great deal of access to information about Scripture and theology, and it is our calling to help them make some UNDERSTANDING out of all that information. God help us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the biggest things I learned in college was the difference between being 'educated' and being 'wise.' I think that is a great shortcoming of our society. We value the ability to regurgitate facts and evaluate them based on other people's opinions. I think that your point about un-coordinated strength is fantastic! We need to remember we have to think and be intentional about the information we value, and we can only do that if we take time to process it and make it true for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassandra, I really get where you're coming from regarding the news media. We are a culture of information junkies and news is one form of that. But what I have found form personal experience and observation is that the constant looping of images and news, particularly at times of big events affects our thinking, our mood and emotions as well as our perception of reality. There have been times when I have seen this occurring and have intentionally and deliberatively turned the TV off. This was especially true in the aftermath of 9/11. In ministry, I wonder what the looping of images used in sermons, etc. affects. Understanding of the infomation is vital. So is processing. So is personal contact and accountability. God help us indeed!

    ReplyDelete