Sunday, April 7, 2013

Doubt and Unbelief

John 20:19-31


          The Gospel of John shows us that there is not one type of faith.  Faith comes in different ways and with a variety of intensities to a diverse people.  Faith is an individual journey.  There is not only one-way through this journey.  In fact, there are many ways.  The journey is not always easy, but that is what makes it a journey.  Prior to the text for today, the beloved disciple believes upon seeing the empty tomb and Mary believes when the Lord calls her name.  Then we hear that the disciples, minus Thomas, believe by seeing the risen Lord.  Finally, Thomas says he will not believe until he touches Jesus’ wounds. 
            Eight days later, Jesus stands among his disciples.  Thomas was with them.  Jesus offers to fulfill Thomas’ conditions.  But wait, Jesus was not present in bodily form when Thomas told the other disciples the conditions that were necessary for his faith.  So Jesus offers “put your finger here and see my hands; and put out your hand and place it in my side; do not be unbelieving, but believing.”  Can you believe it, the text does not even say if Thomas actually touched Jesus.  Somehow Thomas’ conditions, that he would physically touch Jesus, are thrown out the window: “My Lord and my God.”  Jesus replies to Thomas’ confession of faith, “You have believed because you saw me.  Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe.” 
            This text is frequently referred to as “Doubting Thomas.”  That is even what I called it until a few years ago.  In my Witness of the Gospels class we looked at this text and I learned something.  That happens a lot at seminary!  The something that I learned is that the Greek text does not say anything about Thomas doubting.  The Greek word used here means faithful or believing.  The word that some translations render as doubt actually means without faith or without belief.  So, actually Jesus says to Thomas, “Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”  Thomas didn’t doubt.  Thomas lacked belief.  He was in a state of unbelief. 
Really when it comes down to it doubt and unbelief are really similar words.  Yet, I think we often have a stronger reaction to the word doubt.  We think that with faith we should not have doubt.  Rob Bell in his new book “What we talk about when we talk about God,” puts it this way: “For many people in our world, the opposite of faith is doubt.  The goal then, within this understanding, is to eliminate doubt.  But faith and doubt aren’t opposites.  Doubt is often a sign that your faith has a pulse, that it’s alive and well and exploring and searching.  Faith and doubt aren’t opposites, they are , it turns out excellent dance partners.”
            Sometimes our journey is like Thomas’ and that is perfectly okay.  We may have our own moments of unbelief, even though they are sometimes hard to admit.  Thomas was honest in his unbelieving.  He did not just follow the other disciples.  He needed proof.  Sometimes we need proof, too.  Often our need for proof comes across as conditions.  If I see the wounds and put my hand in Jesus’ side then I will believe.  That is Thomas’ if/then condition.  How often do we create if/then conditions for God?  If you answer my prayer then I will believe.  If you send me a billboard or a burning bush then I will believe.  We always want more proof.  However, sometimes we are so concerned with the proof that we don’t even see that God is setting off fireworks for something else in our lives.  The work of the Holy Spirit is active, but sometimes our minds are preoccupied with something else and we miss her work.  How is the Holy Spirit actively transforming your life?
            For me college was a time of my life when I was transformed.  I was exposed to many new ideas and I learned a lot.  Sometimes the things I learned were difficult, especially when I tried to tie them into my faith.  For example, I remember my first day of college like it was yesterday.  We started class on a Thursday and my first class was Religion 100.  My professor started the class by saying, “If you believe Mary was really a virgin or Jonah was really caught in the belly of a wale…you better think again.”  I think I cried that night.  All I had ever grown up learning in Sunday school was that Mary was a virgin and Jonah was caught in the belly of a wale.  There was a tension between academic knowledge and my faith, which caused doubt.  I doubted.  Have you ever doubted?
            Doubt.  Unbelief.  Little faith.  So the question for me is not so much, did Thomas doubt or was he unbelieving.  My question is how did Jesus respond to Thomas.  In fact, the center of this story is Jesus, not Thomas.  At the heart of this story is Jesus’ generous offer of himself to Thomas.  Thomas had established the conditions for his faith: He must be allowed to touch Jesus’ wounds.  He is only prepared to lay aside his unbelief if the risen Jesus meets his criteria.  He insists that the risen body of Jesus fulfill his requirements.  According to John’s account, Jesus makes this possible: “see and believe.” 
The good news is that God doesn’t seem to mind Thomas’ unbelieving.  Jesus responds with grace.  Thomas wasn’t struck down, cast into the outer darkness, revoked of his disciple title, or not accepted for his unbelief.  Thomas’ need for proof was not wrong, but honest.  Thomas was transformed.  The story of Thomas is one of hope and promise, not judgment and reprimand.  This is a story that calls us to live the questions along our journey.
However, knowledge and relationships with Jesus are not limited to his first disciples.  The physical Jesus is absent for us.  We have not seen Jesus.  However, we have seen God at work in the world and in our own lives.  We have not seen, yet we believe.  And our belief may have moments of doubt or unbelief, like Thomas.  Those moments give our faith a pulse.  These moments of searching and seeking give us even more reason to believe.
            The truth is that God wants our hearts, but God also wants our minds.  God wants us to be transformed.  God wants us to let the Holy Spirit work actively in our lives.  God wants us to question.  This might mean we have to wrestle with our doubts and even go through periods of unbelieving.  However, amidst the wrestling, God is always there with the generous gift of grace and the comfort of peace.  “Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe.”  Blessed are you, people of God.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment